The true meaning of Zihuatanejo
Zihuatanejo's name is derived from the Nahuatl word "Zihuatlan" which means "land of women", to which the Spanish modified by "Cihuatan" and added the pejorative suffix "ection". The region was part of the former province of Cuitlatecapan. The Cuitlatecans or Cuitlatecos spread throughout the Costa Grande of Guerrero state and its capital was Zihuatlan. The Cuitlatecans or Cuitlatecos flourished between the fourteenth and fifteenth century and is noted for being a major producer of cotton farming village, cocoa; corn, however, following the servitude imposed by the Mexica empire, began its gradual disappearance.
Zihuatanejo was a port of some importance in the early years of the colony. It highlights the trip between America and the Philippines conducted in 1572 by the fleet and Alvaro de Saavedra Ceron. This expedition, which is said to be the discovery of the Moluccas, was very risky, it killed and Captain Saavedra and Ceron. This was the second sea voyage that reached the Philippines that left America with boats manufactured on the shores of New Spain.
During colonial times, the Bay of Zihuatanejo was practically uninhabited, but some pirates who roamed the coasts of the region's lurking Manila Galleon eventually used as a den, while other boats used as a place of refuge from the severe storms.
In one of the beaches of the bay embarked fine wood shipments from Agua de Correa to different parts of the world, which is why it is known by the name of La Madera.
Occasionally a galleon from the Philippines sank off the Bay of Zihuatanejo and its cargo of fine oriental give in was swept away by the tide to one of the beaches has since called Playa La Ropa.
The beach of the cats on the other hand, is named for the abundance of cat sharks (harmless shark without teeth and mustache), who lived in nearby waters.
By the late nineteenth century, former President Sebastian Lerdo de Tejada, addressed in the port of Zihuatanejo the boat that would take him into exile in the United States of America.
The Municipality of Jose Azueta was founded November 30, 1953 by the decree of H. Congress of Guerrero, which segregated the Union territory , as the municipality's appointing to the small town of de Zihuatanejo, located on the bay of the same name.